Here is an example that explains IoT use case for a logistic company.
IoT Use Case
A logistic company is transporting fish to large distances in refrigerated containers. They transport the fish with utmost care because the fish may spoil if it is not handled properly during the transit. Also, the company makes an agreement with the merchant that if the fish spoils during transit, then the company needs to compensate the merchant. Therefore, the following parameters are imperative to avoid greater losses.
- Temperature – The fish needs to be frozen to maintain its highest quality
- Humidity – Important to avoid thawing of frozen fish
- GPS Location – To track the container
- Door Sensor – To alert the company if the truck door is opened
- Human Presence Sensor – To check any human presence in the container
The company has solved the problem efficiently using IoT technology. They embedded different sensors to the container, which collects and sent data to the cloud to analyze. The sensors help to track whether the temperature and humidity are under specified conditions; the container is travelling in specified route, the door is not opened during transit or any human presence in the container. If a merchant makes any claims about the quality of the fish, the company will analyze the data collected and finds out the exact reason behind the spoilt fish. Also, the company will be updated with the tracking data at a given period (5min, 2min, etc.,) so that they can take immediate actions if required.
Let’s consider that the company has not adopted IoT system. Then, the company may undergo into huge losses if a merchant makes any false claims saying that the fish is spoiled during the transit. Also, the company will not know if any changes in the container conditions or location. Therefore, the IoT system will help to address all the discussed problems promptly before causing any major damage. The IoT process flow for this use case is as follows:
- Data Collection – Collects data from sensors placed in the container and sends this data to the cloud
- Rule Engine – When cloud receives data it will check for any alerts to be raised. For example, if the container door is opened it sends alert to the company.
- Data Storage & Cleansing – Using Big Data tools, the data will be stored
- Data Analysis – If a merchant raises any claims the data can be analyzed to verify the claim
- Visualization – Generation of reports from the data
An IoT-enabled end-to-end application will collect data from sensors, store, analyse, and visualise data. The insights we get from the data collected will help to improve the entire system and process, thereby improving the systems operations, transparency, profitability, efficiency and customer satisfaction.
For More details please visit : https://www.bootcamplab.com/